Chiropractors are medical professionals who can help us maintain good physical health without medications or invasive techniques. One of the primary ways they do this is through the gentle manipulation of muscle bone, and joints in our bodies.
A significant component of a healthy musculoskeletal system is posture, something your chiropractor can help with. Muscle injury, muscle weakness and joint malalignments are major contributors of poor posture, all of which can also result from inactivity or slouching.
This article explores why good posture is important and whether a chiropractor can help improve it. We’ll also look at other incredible health benefits of working with a chiropractor.
The Importance of Good Posture
Most of us have been told to sit or stand up straight at some point because, if we don’t, it’ll affect our posture. But why is having good posture important? Because poor posture can place strain on sensitive muscles and lead to longer-lasting pain – You know, that pain of sitting hunched over a computer for long periods.
Preventing pain isn’t the only reason to work on your posture. Other reasons include:
- Balance improvement: Correct posture keeps our balance centred over our feet.
- Injury prevention: Someone with good posture typically has strong muscles throughout their back. With a strong core (back muscles included), you’re at a lower risk of back injuries.
- Good form: Good posture is important for exercising. It’s much easier to perform various workouts with good form. And your form can be the difference between hurting yourself or not.
Good posture, balance and muscle strength affect all areas of life. Something as simple as getting up and sitting down or carrying a bag requires good balance, strength, form and posture.
What Does a Chiropractor Do?
When you think of a chiropractor, you may think of a person who pushes and twists on your back to make it snap, crackle, and pop. And while a chiropractor does a certain degree of manual manipulation, their treatments go much deeper than that.
In addition to being highly skilled on the spine, these professionals can also put their knowledge of muscles, tendons, and nerves to good use on your whole body. For example, a chiropractor can help with nerve pain or conditions like arthritis.
Can a Chiropractor Help with Posture?
They absolutely can, and they do it in several way!
They Ask Questions
Posture can be challenging to fix without first discovering what’s affecting it. If your chiropractor starts working on your posture without an investigation, the results may be temporary at best if they don’t address the root issue.
Your chiropractor can get to the source of your posture problems by asking you the right questions.
Your chiropractor will likely ask you questions about your lifestyle—like if you sit at a desk and for how long, or if you play contact sports—before examining your posture in action. Your answers and their examination will influence their treatment plan for you.
They’ll Assess Your Tissues
Your chiropractor will assess the length and strength of various muscles, efficiency of ligaments and tendons, and mobility of joints to determine where your postural problems may be stemming from.
Your unique posture issues will inform the type of treatments your chiropractor may make. Whether your problems are muscular or skeletal, you’re in good hands.
But What is an Adjustment?
If you’ve never been to a chiropractor before, the thought of an adjustment may bring some feelings of uneasiness. But there is nothing to be worried about. In most cases, the adjustment is gentle, and you’ll barely feel anything. But, this is not all a chiropractor does!
Other Forms of Treatment
Chiropractors are also highly skilled in
- Soft Tissue Release Techniques
- Muscle Stimulation Techniques
- Modalities such as IMS, Acupuncture, Graston, Shockwave Therapy, and Laser Therapy
- Exercises to increase range of motion, mobility, endurance, and strength
- Assistance with stretching and mobility
They’ll Advise You on Continued Maintenance
Your chiropractor will review your treatment plan with you, based on your areas of concern, personal goals, and lifestyle. While session in clinic are crucial, they will also provide you stretches and exercises to do at home to help your rehabilitation.
Other Health Benefits of Working with a Chiropractor
The health benefits of seeing a chiropractor don’t stop with posture. Other things they can help with include:
- Headaches: If you suffer from chronic headaches, it’s entirely possible that a chiropractor can help you at least ease the symptoms, if not solve the problem.
- General joint or muscle pain: Many assume the back is the only thing a chiropractor can help with, but they can help with other joint and muscle pain throughout your body.
- Accident recovery: Muscle and bone injuries are common in Motor Vehicle Accidents. A chiropractor can help with your recovery.
- Chronic nerve pain: Sciatic pain can be absolutely debilitating. Surgery or medication is often the only way to get relief. However, massage therapy and chiropractic therapy can both be beneficial.
Find Out If a Chiropractic Visit Can Help You
Don’t wait to get help if you’re dealing with uncomfortable muscle and joint pain or want to improve your posture. Reach out to us at Running Shoe Restorative Healthcare. Our helpful staff can get you in to see the professional you need, whether a chiropractor, massage therapist, or physiotherapist.